D1 Driver Training

Take your test with support from our Advanced Driving Instructors and dedicated team.

Verified Reviews

Rivervale TrustPilot Reviews Rivervale Feefo Reviews Rivervale Google Reviews

Increase your chance of passing first time.

We have a proven track record in delivering effective training and helping your staff to obtain their D1 licence.

Having worked with over 2000 schools, academies, colleges and charitable organisations across the UK we have a proven track record in delivering effective training and helping your staff to obtain their D1 licence.

Our team will talk you through all that's needed before the theory test, the eyesight and medical checks, we have software to help support the theory part of the test and finally provide 1-2-1 practical training in our minibuses over two days which includes your practical test.

Who needs D1 Driver Training?

You have to have D1 entitlement on your driving licence if you are paid to drive, or/and are driving a vehicle with a GVW over 3500kg. If you passed your driving test before January 1997 you will have inherited D1 entitlement on your licence as part of that test.

However, there is a big difference in driving a minibus full of passengers and driving a car; just because you're legal doesn't mean you're safe.

We recommend that all minibus drivers take the full D1 licence, even if they have inherited the D1 (101). By taking the full D1 driver test you can be sure that there will be no issue as to whether your drivers are 'volunteers' and are driving for social purposes only. As this is a condition under the Section 19 Permit.

Driving a minibus without D1 entitlement

Under a Section 19 Permit you can drive a minibus on a standard car licence if you are not driving for 'hire or reward', the journeys are for social purposes, the vehicle has a GVW of 3500kg or under, and you are 21 years of age and have had your licence for two years (Other conditions apply - but these are the main ones).

You can pay your drivers under a Section 19 Permit but they will need D1 entitlement. There are mixed opinions about whether school staff and teachers are volunteer drivers which is why we recommend schools seek legal advice if they are unsure.

Already have D1 entitlement and want refresh your driving?

MiDAS (minibus driver awareness scheme) is nationally recognised practical and theory training day to refresh drivers skills or introduce them to driving a minibus. It is recommended all drivers complete MiDAS every 4 years.

Looking to risk assess your drivers regularly?

Under Health and Safety Law, employers need to regularly risk-assess their drivers. Rivervale uses the same online platform as many large UK brands, such as Argos and Royal Mail, to risk-assess their drivers and provide additional training online. It's efficient, affordable and accurate.

Confused about who needs driver training and why?

Our online Minibus Management Course is designed for anyone involved in managing or driving a minibus under a Section 19 Permit, and explains all the requirements including driver training and licences.

Any Questions?

If you have any questions or queries, please give us a call on 01869 253 744, or complete the form and we'll get back to you ASAP.